What tax do I pay?
If you take any part of your super in cash after age 60, generally no tax will be payable.
Prior to age 60 some tax may be payable. This tax will be deducted from your benefit by Qantas Super. For tax purposes, your super is divided into two parts as follows:
1. Tax-free component
This is your crystallised (tax-free) component at 1 July 2007 plus any non-concessional contributions made after 1 July 2007.
The tax you pay
2. Taxable component
This is the balance of your benefit.
The tax you pay
The amount of tax depends upon your age when you receive the benefit. For 2020/21, if you are:
- age 60 and over. Generally you won’t pay tax on withdrawals from your account.
- aged between your preservation age and 60. The first $215,0001 of your taxable component is tax free. Amounts of the taxable component above this limit are taxed at up to 17%2.
- under your preservation age. The full taxable component is taxed at 22%2.
If you are under age 60 and have not provided your TFN, tax on the taxable component of your super will be withheld at the highest marginal tax rate plus Medicare levy, currently a combined rate of 49%.
1Indexed in line with AWOTE in increments of $5,000 (rounded down) and reduced by the taxable components of lump sum amounts previously received from Qantas Super or another fund since reaching preservation age.
2This rate includes the Medicare Levy which is currently 2%.
Other conditions of release
You may be able to access a portion of your preserved super in cash in other circumstances, being:
- you reach your preservation age and transfer your super into a transition to retirement income stream which pays you regular income payments, such as an Income Account in Gateway;
- you suffer Permanent Incapacity;
- severe financial hardship;
- compassionate grounds;
- temporary incapacity;
- you have a Terminal Medical Condition; or
- you die.
You can learn more via the ATO.
Some terms used on this page have a specific meaning which is set out under ‘definitions’ in the ‘other information’ section of the Qantas Super Gateway Member Guide Supplement.
Was this helpful?
Other info you might be interested in
We're here to help
If you want to learn more or need help with making a decision about your super, you can get simple advice over the phone or face to face. It’s included as a part of your membership so there’s no extra cost.