Our investment options
Qantas Super offers a range of investment solutions so you can choose the option you feel best meets your investment needs. For details of how you can choose or change your investment option, please read the disclosure material relevant to your division, including the Investment Guide.
What can I change?
You can choose which investment options apply to:
- Your current account balance1 – specify how much to invest in each option by dollar amounts or by whole percentages (for Income Accounts in Gateway only whole percentages can be specified); and/or
- Your future contributions – specify how much to invest in each option by whole percentages (future contributions do not apply to Income Accounts in Gateway).
This flexibility means you can have different investment options for your current account balance and for your future contributions.
1 Excluding any portion of your account balance invested in the Term Deposit option.
How do I change my investment options?
When does my change take effect?
Changes for your current account balance
A valid change request for your current account balance (switch) is effective the first Wednesday following the date your request is received2. We will notify you of any changes to the frequency of switching for current account balances as required by law.
The Trustee may also suspend processing of investment switches during times of investment market volatility or illiquidity, such as a major market event (eg. a significant banking failure or an economic depression).
Changes for your future contributions
A valid change request for your future contributions is effective from the next business day following the date your request is received3.
2 A request received by Qantas Super’s administrator after 11.30pm on a Tuesday is deemed to be received the next business day.
3 A request received by Qantas Super’s administrator after 11.30pm on a given day is deemed to be received the next business day.
A range of investment options
You can actively manage the investment of your super with our range of investment options, by choosing one or a mix of investment options:
- Glidepath: An investment option designed to provide members with a greater exposure to growth assets early in their career and then to automatically reduce this exposure to growth assets as retirement nears. Glidepath has four investment stages:
- Aggressive: For investors with a time horizon of at least 10 years, who want an investment portfolio predominantly invested in growth assets, with a medium to high degree of risk.
- Growth: For investors with a time horizon of at least seven years, who want to achieve high returns driven by a large exposure to growth assets, with a medium to high degree of risk.
- Balanced: For investors with a time horizon of at least five years, who want an investment portfolio balanced between growth and defensive assets, with a medium degree of risk.
- Conservative: For investors with a time horizon of at least three years, who want stable, modest returns, with a low to medium degree of risk.
- Cash: For investors who want exposure to cash and short-term money market returns, with a very low degree of risk.
- Term Deposit: For investors who want the short-term security of a fixed interest rate. This option is only available for certain members.
If you don’t choose an option
If you don’t choose an investment option4, your account will be invested automatically in the default option, which is:
- Glidepath: for accumulation Divisions 3A, 5, 6, 7, 10 and Gateway; and
- Growth: for defined benefit Divisions 1, 2, 3, 4, 12 and 15
4 Note: If you’re a member of a Qantas Super defined benefit division, investment choice only applies to certain accumulation accounts (please call the Qantas Super Helpline on 1300 362 967 if you’d like more information on this). For Income Accounts in Gateway, no default option applies and you are required to make a choice when completing your application form.
|ALERT: You must consider the likely investment return, the risk, and your investment timeframe when choosing an option in which to invest.|
Investment fees are deducted from investment returns of each investment option before the Credited Interest Rate is calculated for the period. A different percentage fee applies to each investment option. Investment fees for Qantas Super are as follows:
Estimated investment fees5 for 2015/2016
(% pa of account balance)
|– Take-Off stage||0.51||0 – 0.15||0.51 – 0.66|
|– Altitude stage||0.48||0 – 0.15||0.48 – 0.63|
|– Cruising stage||0.46||0 – 0.14||0.46 – 0.60|
|– Destination stage||0.43||0 – 0.14||0.43 – 0.57|
|Aggressive||0.51||0 – 0.15||0.51 – 0.66|
|Growth||0.48||0 – 0.15||0.48 – 0.63|
|Balanced||0.43||0 – 0.14||0.43 – 0.57|
|Conservative||0.39||0 – 0.13||0.39 – 0.52|
|Cash||0.17||0 – 0.00||0.17|
|Term deposit option||$25 for each term deposit investment6|
5 Includes all investment costs incurred by the Trustee that relate to each investment option
6 Deducted directly from your account at the time funds are invested in this option (in the same proportions that your account is invested in one or more investment options at the date of deduction).
For more information about investment fees, and other fees and costs in Qantas Super, please read the member disclosure materials relevant to your division.
|Financial Advice: If you need advice on which investment choice is right for you, we recommend you seek advice from a licensed financial adviser. As a member, you have access to a range of financial advice services which includes getting advice about choosing the right investment option for you. Simply contact the Qantas Super Helpline.|