Target market determination for Spouse members of Qantas Super’s Gateway Division.
- Trustee of Superannuation Fund: Qantas Superannuation Limited
- Fund Name: Qantas Super
- Australian Business Number (ABN): 41 272 198 829
- Unique Superannuation Identifier (USI): 41272198829401
Qantas Super is a complying, resident regulated superannuation fund within the meaning of the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (SIS Act).
1. About Qantas Super Plan
The Qantas Super Plan (the Plan) has been specifically designed for current and former employees of Qantas Airways Limited (the Plan Sponsor) and associated employers and their spouses. The Plan is a non-public offer fund, i.e. it is not open to members of the public. The Plan includes a MySuper product and several defined benefit divisions. A Target Market Determination (TMD) is not required for MySuper products or in respect of defined benefit members.
Employee Members can remain in the Plan after they cease employment with the Plan Sponsor. All members can also access an Income Account when they satisfy the eligibility conditions and can transfer their account to another fund at any time, and if they decide that the Plan’s features are no longer suitable for their objectives, financial situation or needs.
2. About this document
This TMD seeks to offer consumers, distributors and staff an understanding of the class of consumers for which this product has been designed, having regard to the likely objectives, financial situation and needs of the target market.
This document is not to be treated as a full summary of the product’s terms and conditions and is not intended to provide financial advice. Consumers must refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and any supplementary documents when deciding about this product.
Product Disclosure Statement to which this target market determination applies
This TMD applies to the relevant Gateway product referred to in the following PDS:
Other documents to which this Target Market Determination applies
This TMD applies to the relevant Gateway product referred to in the following documents:
3. Important dates
- Date from which this TMD is effective: 5 October 2021
- Date on which this TMD was last reviewed: 5 October 2021
- Date on which this TMD will be next reviewed: 5 October 2024
4. Consumers that fall within this target market
The information below summarises the overall class of consumers that fall within the target market for Gateway (Spouse Members).
Gateway (Spouse members) is designed for consumers who:
- Are looking to invest within the superannuation environment for their retirement; and
- Are the spouse, as set out in the definition of Dependant in the PDS, of a Qantas Super member who is an Employee Member.
Gateway (Spouse members) is not designed for consumers who:
- Are an employee of Qantas Airways Limited or an associated employer;
- Want to direct superannuation guarantee contributions from their employer to Gateway;
- Want access to Income Protection insurance associated with their account; and
- Are members of the public who are not the spouse of a Qantas Super member who is employed by Qantas Airways Limited or an associated employer.
Product description and key attributes
The key product attributes of the Gateway (Spouse members) product are:
- A range of pre-mixed investment options that have different allocations to growth and defensive assets and different risk profiles and levels of diversification;
- Access to suitable Death and Total and Permanent Disability insurance cover;
- A member online portal which provides a comprehensive view of the member’s benefits and entitlements; and
- Access to intra-fund advice at no extra cost.
Objective, financial situation, and needs
The listing below sets out the class of consumers that each investment option within Gateway (Spouse members) has been designed for:
The listing below sets out the class of consumers that each Insurance option within Gateway (Spouse members) has been designed for:
Consistency between target market and the product
This product is likely to be consistent with the likely objectives, financial situation and needs of a class of consumers in the target market. This is based on an analysis of the key terms, features and attributes of the product and a finding that these are consistent with the identified class of consumers.
The Gateway (Spouse members) product:
- Fulfils a need for consumers in the target market;
- Includes features/attributes that are consistent with the objectives, financial situation and needs of the target market,
- Delivers on what was promised; and
- Has previously benefited target market consumers in the past.
Gateway (Spouse members) will be next reviewed on 5 October 2024, unless a review trigger occurs before that time (see section 6 below). During the review Qantas Super will carefully consider whether Gateway (Spouse members) continues to be suitable for consumers in the target market.
5. How this product is to be distributed
As noted above, Qantas Super is a non-public offer superannuation fund. In accordance with the superannuation legislation, members of the public who are not employees of Qantas Airways Limited or an associated employer nor the current or former spouses of such employees, cannot join the Plan.
This product is designed to be distributed through the following means:
- Through the Qantas Super website (for eligible consumers only);
- By external Financial Planners;
- By Qantas Super employees who are Authorised Representatives of Guideway Financial Services Pty Ltd; and
- By Qantas Super phone consultants authorised to provide financial advice by Mercer Financial Advice.
This product should only be distributed under the following circumstances:
- Where the prospective member is a resident within Australia and is eligible to contribute or consolidate their superannuation account;
- Where the prospective member is the spouse of a Qantas Super member who is employed by Qantas Airways Limited or an associated employer;
- To consumers that fall within the target market.
Where a member is applying for insurance cover, that is not subject to Limited Cover, they must Meet the age, employment and residency requirements outlined in the PDS.
Adequacy of distribution conditions and restrictions
The Trustee seeks to minimise the risk of the Plan’s Gateway Division being acquired by people for whom they may be less appropriate by retaining the Plan’s non-public offer status. The Trustee considers that because interests in this Plan can only be issued via employer arrangements, it is unlikely that such interests could be inappropriately distributed.
An eligible person may from time to time elect to join the Gateway Division of the Plan following the receipt of personal financial product advice. The risk of inappropriate distribution of this product via this means is considered to be low as advisers are required to consider the personal objectives, financial situation and needs of the person and because the distribution conditions referred to above apply regardless of whether the person has received personal advice.
6. Reviewing this Target Market Determination
We will review this TMD in accordance with the below:
5 October 2021
Next periodic review
5 October 2024
Review triggers or events
Any event/circumstance which arise that would suggest the TMD is no longer appropriate. This may include (but is not limited to):
- a material change to the design or distribution of the product;
- occurrence of a significant dealing;
- distribution conditions found to be inadequate, such as distribution to consumers that are not employed by Qantas Airways Limited or an associated employer;
- identification of significant detriment to consumers if TMD was not reviewed;
- external events such as adverse media coverage or regulatory attention;
- significant changes in metrics, including but not limited to, complaints and contact points with Qantas Super in relation to Gateway (Spouse Members);
- 50% year-on-year increase in investment option switching from a single option;
- 10% of the target market exiting the product in a quarter;
- 10% of the target market opting out of insurance cover in a quarter;
- 25 insurance claims being denied or withdrawn in a 6 month period;
- 10 member complaints relating to investment options, product or insurance in a month;
- suspicious adverse results from market or different returns from those expected from the market;
- sale or acquisition of an asset that was/is an important part of the investment holdings of a particular investment option; or
- a change has occurred that effects the objectives of the target market.
For the avoidance of doubt, less substantial changes such as the like-for-like replacement of an investment manager or appointment of a new insurer on substantially similar terms and conditions are not considered major changes that would require a review of this determination.
Where a review trigger has occurred and Qantas Super becomes aware that a review trigger has occurred, or an event/circumstance has occurred that would reasonably suggest that the TMD is no longer appropriate, this TMD will be reviewed within 10 business days.
7. Reporting and monitoring this target market determination
We will collect the following information from stakeholders in relation to this TMD.
Qantas Super Gateway (Gateway) is a division of the Qantas Superannuation Plan ABN 41 272 198 829, RSE R1005486 (Qantas Super). The trustee of Qantas Super is Qantas Superannuation Limited ABN 47 003 806 960, AFSL 288330, RSE licence L0002257 (QSL, we, us, our or Trustee). Insurance in Gateway is provided through group policies with an external insurer, MetLife Insurance Limited ABN 75 004 274 882, AFSL 238096 (MetLife or Insurer). Gateway is the default division of Qantas Super for most Australian-based employees of Qantas Airways Limited ABN 16 009 661 901 and associated employers (Qantas Group).
Was this helpful?
We're here to help
If you want to learn more or need help with making a decision about your super, you can get simple advice over the phone. It’s included as a part of your membership so there’s no extra cost.