Investment markets have continued their upward trajectory over the June quarter, building on the strong gains made earlier in the year.
According to Qantas Super investment manager Chris Grogan, both Australian and global share markets performed well through this period, contributing to healthy returns for each of Qantas Super’s investment options for the year and three years to 30 June 2019, which is illustrated in the chart below.
Performance for super accounts
As at 31 July 2019 – all returns are per annum and after investment fees.
- 1 year
- 3 years
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.
The market’s continued rebound from a sell-off in the December quarter highlights the importance of Qantas Super’s safety-first approach to managing your super.
While the markets will continue to have their ups and downs in the short term, as is their nature, our approach is focused on investing for the long term and being well diversified. This strategy takes into account the risks and rewards of investing, and manages the expected periods of market uncertainty.
Your investment options are meeting their long-term objectives
As at 30 June 2019 – all returns and objectives are per annum and after investment fees.
|Investment option||Return objective||Actual return||Return objective||Difference|
|Glidepath: Take-Off||CPI +5% p.a. over 10 years||10.4% (3 year p.a. return)||6.9%||+3.5%|
|Glidepath: Altitude||CPI +4% p.a. over 7 years||9.0% (3 year p.a. return)||5.9%||+3.1%|
|Glidepath: Cruising||CPI +3.5% p.a. over 6 years||8.3% (3 year p.a. return)||5.4%||+2.9%|
|Glidepath: Destination||CPI +3% p.a. over 5 years||7.2% (3 year p.a. return)||4.9%||+2.3%|
|Aggressive||CPI +5% p.a. over 10 years||9.0% (10 year p.a. return)||6.8%||+2.2%|
|Growth||CPI +4% p.a. over 7 years||8.7% (7 year p.a. return)||5.9%||+2.8%|
|Balanced||CPI +3% p.a. over 5 years||5.9% (5 year p.a. return)||4.8%||+1.1%|
|Conservative||CPI +2% p.a. over 3 years||5.7% (3 year p.a. return)||3.9%||+1.8%|
|Cash||Bloomberg AusBond Bank Bill over 1 year||2.0% (1 year p.a. return)||1.7%||+0.3%|
- Glidepath: Take-OffReturn objectiveCPI +5% p.a. over 10 yearsActual return10.4% (3 year p.a. return)Return objective6.9%Difference+3.5%
- Glidepath: AltitudeReturn objectiveCPI +4% p.a. over 7 yearsActual return9.0% (3 year p.a. return)Return objective5.9%Difference+3.1%
- Glidepath: CruisingReturn objectiveCPI +3.5% p.a. over 6 yearsActual return8.3% (3 year p.a. return)Return objective5.4%Difference+2.9%
- Glidepath: DestinationReturn objectiveCPI +3% p.a. over 5 yearsActual return7.2% (3 year p.a. return)Return objective4.9%Difference+2.3%
- AggressiveReturn objectiveCPI +5% p.a. over 10 yearsActual return9.0% (10 year p.a. return)Return objective6.8%Difference+2.2%
- GrowthReturn objectiveCPI +4% p.a. over 7 yearsActual return8.7% (7 year p.a. return)Return objective5.9%Difference+2.8%
- BalancedReturn objectiveCPI +3% p.a. over 5 yearsActual return5.9% (5 year p.a. return)Return objective4.8%Difference+1.1%
- ConservativeReturn objectiveCPI +2% p.a. over 3 yearsActual return5.7% (3 year p.a. return)Return objective3.9%Difference+1.8%
- CashReturn objectiveBloomberg AusBond Bank Bill over 1 yearActual return2.0% (1 year p.a. return)Return objective1.7%Difference+0.3%
As Glidepath was established on 1 October 2015, only three year returns are shown for these options. Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.
What’s behind the numbers?
Want to know the stories behind the numbers? We had Chris talk us through the latest market activity and what’s on the horizon:
Thinking about switching your investment options?
A Super Adviser can help you assess what option is right for you based on your unique situation and goals. You can speak with an adviser over the phone or face to face at no additional cost.