Any approved Voluntary Cover is in addition to your super benefit and any cover already in place in Qantas Super.
How much cover can I apply for?
The maximum amount of total insurance cover you can have in Qantas Super is $10 million for death and $3 million for TPD (inclusive of all Standard Cover, Basic Cover and Voluntary Cover you have under one or more accounts).
You can apply for a dollar amount of Voluntary Cover in multiples of $10,000.
It’s important to note that tapering applies. This means that the amount of any Voluntary Cover you have for TPD will reduce by 20% each year commencing from 1 July following your 61st birthday, up to your 65th birthday (when your Voluntary Cover for death and TPD will cease).
A guide to occupational group ratings
When applying for Voluntary Cover, you must advise the correct occupational group rating for your occupation. In the event your occupational group rating improves in the future (that is, you change occupation and move from group 3 to group 1 or 2, or from group 2 to group 1), you can complete the relevant form available on our website and return this to us to ensure you pay the correct premium for your Voluntary Cover.
If you make a claim in the future and we determine that any premiums paid have been based on an incorrect occupational group rating at the time you applied for cover, a premium adjustment will be made to your account prior to the payment of your Voluntary Cover for death or TPD.
|General description of your current position/role
|Examples specific to Qantas
|Occupational group 1
– are working in a mainly sedentary capacity in an office or retail environment, with less than 20% of time spent outdoors; or
– are mainly engaged in light manual duties; or
– travel regularly for work but do not deliver goods (excludes Flight Crew).
|– Consultants (Telephone Sales)
– Customer Service Agents
– Customer Sales Agents
– Senior Professional Group (SPG) positions
|Occupational group 2
– are Flight Crew; or
– hold a trade certificate and perform a moderate amount of manual work; or
– have been unemployed or engaged in full time home duties for more than 12 months1.
|– Avionics Maintenance Engineer
– Cabin Crew
– Home duties
– Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (LAME)
– Technical Crew
|Occupational group 3
– are mainly performing manual work; or
– skilled employees performing heavy manual work
|– Airline Services Operating
– Airlines Service Attendants
– Catering Service Attendants
– Ground Crew/Ramp Services
– Store Persons
1If you are unemployed or engaged in full time home duties for a period of less than 12 months, your existing occupational group rating will continue to apply during that period or until we receive a valid form to change your occupational rating from you. If you are unemployed or engaged in full time home duties for more than 12 months, occupational group rating 2 will apply for the purposes of calculating insurance premiums payable for your Voluntary Cover.
How much does Voluntary Cover cost?
Our calculator can provide an estimate of the insurance premiums payable for voluntary insurance cover in Qantas Super, annually, monthly, and weekly. Premium rates vary by age and occupational group rating.
Please note, this calculator should not be used to decide whether to obtain voluntary insurance cover. A calculator to help you work out your insurance needs is available via the government’s MoneySmart website. Before making any decisions about your insurance cover, you should consider seeking financial advice – you can book a one-on-one appointment with one of our Super Advisers at a time and location that suits you.
The results shown in this calculator are based on the current insurance premium rates applicable to the inputs you enter, including the occupational group you choose. No other assumptions are used in the calculator.
Remember that your premiums will change with your age as at every 1 October.
You can print out the estimate of premiums by clicking the 'Print' button at the top right hand side of this page.
Important things to remember:
- The results shown in this calculator are estimates only, based on the current insurance premium rates applicable to the inputs you enter, including the occupational group you choose. No other assumptions are used in the calculator.
- The amount deducted for premiums will vary depending on the number of days in the month.
- Premiums will change with your age as at every 1 October.
- Voluntary Cover for TPD is only available in conjunction with Voluntary Cover for death.
- The amount of your Voluntary Cover for TPD can't be higher than the amount of Voluntary Cover you have for death.
- Detailed Voluntary Cover information can be found in your Voluntary Cover Insurance Guide
We're here to help
If you want to learn more about insurance or need help with making a decision about your super, you can get simple advice over the phone. It’s included as a part of your membership so there’s no extra cost.